Heart healthy dishes for Dad's special day
Celebrate dear old dad with a gift of a big meal instead of the usual tech gadget. Show him you care by cooking up a few heart-healthy dishes for his special day.
These recipes are tasty, using minimal and fresh ingredients. He'll surely be proud. And his heart will thank you!
Honor the world's greatest dad with a homemade meal that you prepare. Give him the gift of tasty, healthy eating that he will never forget!
Asian marinated salmon filets recipe
- 4 salmon filets
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely diced
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a baking dish, combine soy sauce, lemon juice, honey, garlic and ginger. Place the salmon in the dish, making sure all sides are coated with sauce, then place in the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, remove salmon filets from the marinade and place filets on a lightly greased baking pan. Brush the filets with some of the marinade. Broil each side for about 8 to 10 minutes, basting with marinade. Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
Or Chicken Sausage Skewers
Simply cut chunks of chicken sausage, sweet red peppers, onions and tomatoes, alternately place on skewer and bbq. Baste to taste with a melted butter and garlic mixture and serve.
Vegetarian whole wheat pasta salad recipe
- 8 ounces cooked whole wheat pasta
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, toss together bell pepper, onion, tomato, garlic, parsley and olive oil. Add the cooked pasta and grated cheese and toss until well combined. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Raspberry and lemon frozen yogurt recipe
- 4 cups plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup honey or agave syrup
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1-2 tablespoons honey or agave syrup
- In a bowl, mix together yogurt and lemon juice, then stir in honey. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker. Frozen yogurt will be finished in about 30 to 40 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a bowl, stir raspberries with honey and let stand until berries are soft and juicy. Pour over finished frozen yogurt.
Serve with light beer, wine spritzers, Arnold Palmers made with unsweetened tea and light lemonade or mineral water.