Thursday, August 6, 2009

Oral Infection and Thyroid Function Not Connected

For the entire year of 2008, I had an oral infection in my mouth from a cracked tooth. After four sets of X-rays during that time, neither the dentist nor the endodontist could see any cracks, so they did a re-work of a 10-year-old root canal with a crown. The pain did not subside, and the tooth was pulled in March. That's when the crack was revealed.

After saying all this, now my TSH and T4 are quite elevated, my T3 is low, and I am losing weight. Before the oral infection, I could not lose any weight. My endocrinologist tested my adrenal gland function, which was normal. I have asked the endocrinologist if there is a correlation between the infection that I had and the symptoms I am now experiencing with my thyroid. He said no, but is this true?

Donna D.

Your endocrinologist is correct: An oral infection will not adversely affect your thyroid function. The thyroid gland is in your neck, and dental issues will not affect it.TSH elevation usually reflects depression of thyroid function.

However , dental problems can definitely affect your overall health.  …Ask Dr. Hibberd

Posted:  True Health Is True Wealth

No comments: